2.03.2012

Italian Recipes

To prepare for St. Francis Things key point day, and since Lorenzo was visiting as Giotto, the famous Italian painter, I made an Italian bread that my mom made in our home.  We called it bonafritta, but I have no idea if that is right, and I cannot find it on the internet.

Start with frozen loaf of dough from the freezer section in grocery store.
Let it defrost and rise a little.
When it is soft, slice it into small sections and then flatten it with your fingers into a circle.
Next, fry the dough circles in pan of hot oil until brown; flip onto other side to brown.
Let oil drain off onto paper towel.
You can eat it warm with butter, and we have even put sugar and cinnamon on some!

Another recipe we tried was a crustless Sienna tart from southern Italy.
Start with blanched almonds, sugar, and cinnamon, and blend together to a fine powder.
 Mix in cream cheese.
 Blend with a lot of eggs and milk.
 Butter and flour pan.

 Bake for 45 minutes, and wa-lah!
I did not care for it; it tasted like cinnamon egg omelet, but the kids liked it. 

And finally, the last recipe was cheese gnocchi; we used cream cheese.
 Mix in flour and salt.
 Mix in a lot of egg yokes.
 Drop by spoonfuls into boiling water until they float to the top.
Sprinkle with butter and parmesan.  
 These were pretty good, but I think I like potato gnocchi better.




No comments: