5.30.2012

Summer Break

While homeschoolers never take a break, because learning is life and life is learning, our homeschool is  officially on summer break; that is: we will only visit the library, read books and Scripture every day, swim often, practice music, practice printing and handwriting, do art, play, visit friends, and maybe even finish our science.  But, that is all.

Meanwhile, homeschool moms of Epic Adventures will be writing a new homeschool year this June.  It is TOP SECRET!  Our kids are not usually supposed to know the theme until opening night.  Yikes!  It is so hard to keep a secret.

I cannot even begin to express how much work it is to put together a school year.  The day following closing day last week, emails were already sent out preparing for Writing Week.  And you should know, laying the groundwork for this next year already began in March.

Writing Week is three days long from morning until late.  During the week, moms brainstorm all the particulars that will go into making a full year of fun and learning: components are designed, titles are given, inquiries are created, visitors are considered, field trips are planned, and opening and closing days are given their proper place and time as well.  Much energy, time, and research goes into compiling all the details of a school year.  And did I say how much fun it is?

The other day I asked rhetorically, in front of my husband, what schools would look like if they could produce the same Epic Adventures; what if teachers (and even parents) could brainstorm together each school year, like we do?   And my husband answered me: "It's too much work."

I think he is right.

The idea that kids must sit in dull classrooms and use boring text books to learn makes me sad.  (I was there; maybe I am taking it too personally.  Maybe there are kids who like to sit in desks and use text books all day.) When we are stopped behind a yellow school bus with its blinking red lights, my heart cringes as we watch all the children exit the bus and slunk home, some with a heavy burden strapped to  their back.  And when I look at what time it is, I cringe more.  I want to rescue them, but I cannot.

I don't know their situations, so I cannot say anything for their parents or teachers; but I know that I am grateful that God planted in my heart a desire to be home with my kids and to homeschool them.  And also that He has sustained our family thus far that I may be able to be home with them.  I take my obligation and responsibility to train them up very seriously, and I appreciate my liberty and opportunity to be home with them.  It is not always joy, and it is a great sacrifice, but it is well worth it.

So, with that, summer begins, while we anticipate our next Epic Adventure in September!

To be continued...

No comments: