2.23.2013

How to Enjoy The Getty in Los Angeles with Children

First survive the 405:

Then take the cool tram ride all the way up the hill.


And you are there!

Provide the kids with a list of works of art they are to find, and you have an instant scavenger hunt.

Woman in Blue Reading a Letter - Johannes Vermeer
Old Man in Military Uniform - Rembrandt


A Young Scholar and His Tutor - Rembrandt
Make sure they check off the pieces they find.

James Christie - Thomas Gainsborough
Perseus Confronting Phineas with the Head of Medusa - Sebastiano Ricci



Dancer Taking a Bow - Degas

Suzanne Le Peletier de Saint Fargeau
- Jacques Louis David


Portrait of the Marquesa de Santiago
- Francisco Goya

Walk at Dusk - Caspar David Friedrich

The Ransom - Sir John Everett Millais


Detail of Spring - Alma-Tadema

Wheatstacks, Snow Effect, Morning - Claude Monet

Irisis - Vincent Van Gogh

The Portal of Rouen Cathedral in Morning Light - Claude Monet (on right)

Landscape with Ceres - Jan Brueghel
If you list all of your pieces to find in order of time period, chances are, your list will correspond with the pieces as you walk through the museum.

When you are done with finding art work, head out to the garden to have lunch.




Don't forget to bring your sketch journals to do some of your own drawing.




And, hence, you shall have some happy and tired children at the end of the day.


4 comments:

Amanda said...

Looks like a wonderful day at the Getty. I'd love to go back!

Melissa said...

What a wonderful idea! I may have to copy your idea of a scavenger hunt for artworks we have studied! This will make a great last week of school field trip for my family in May. Thanks for sharing!

Keri said...

Wonderful photos! I felt like I was almost there myself. I so wish I could take a trip there one day and see those paintings in person. Maybe one day. Currently I am using an online program to help teach Art( http://www.time4learning.com/art_lessons_online.shtml ). My kids like it, but it is never like being there. I will take your idea when we do visit our own local Museums and ones we visit in our travels. What a neat way to introduce Art. Thanks for the idea!

The Lopez Family said...

Keri,
Thank you for you comments. I will say the scavenger hunt was a success, and the little ones were really excited about finding artwork on the wall that matched their booklet. I would definitely do it again.

I'll check out the website you mentioned. I am always looking for new ideas. Thanks, Ruth